I started drinking smoothies for breakfast a few years ago. They are such a great start to my day. I feel so much more energized after drinking one. It is so hard to get the recommended allowance of fruits and vegetables in one day so why not start your day off with a large helping of them. If I skip a few days without a smoothie I can completely tell a difference in my energy and mood. I like to make a large batch so I have enough to get me through the week or for my kids when they decide to have one. Smoothies make a great breakfast on the run for those busy mornings. I have had several different blenders over the years but the one I have loved the most is definitely my Vitamix. I used a NutriBullet for a while and it was a perfect starter but I am able to make so much more at one time with my Vitamix. Also, the Vitamix does a great job of liquifing my smoothies to the consistency I really enjoy. My husband likes them a little chunkier so when he makes them he does not run the blender for quite as long as I do. You can find the Vitamix by clicking here. You can find the NutriBullet by clicking here.
- 4 cups of frozen fruit. I use 2 cups of mangos and/or peaches and 2 cups of mixed fruit like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. You could use what ever fruit you like. I have been known to use pineapples or bananas as well.
- 16 oz bag of frozen spinach
- 5 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons of almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of honey ( you could skip this step since the fruit is already sweet but for me it just gives it that little extra sweetness and the kids like it too)
- I recommend using organic ingredients and local honey when feasible
I first put the frozen fruit into the blender then the bag of spinach. I have found when putting the spinach in first the blender does not mix all the ingredients as easily. Then I add the water, oats, almond butter and honey on top.
Place the lid on and turn the Vitamix on to its highest level. You may need to use the tamper or a spoon to help it along once during mixing since we have filled it over the max fill line.
A few minutes later our green breakfast smoothies are ready
I use mason jars to store my smoothies. I like the 16 oz wide mouth jars which can be found here. Since we have filled the Vitamix to the very top I use a ladle to fill the first 2 mason jars then I can pour the rest.
This recipe almost fills 6 mason jars
Found these cute and colorful paper straws here
Breakfast is served!
Leave a Reply